Contact Yo Yo Ma

This topic contains 146 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kim.rs 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author

Ted Vanya

I am an 81 year old admirer of Yo Yo Ma. I compose music for many years. Recently, after seeing a video Yo Yo Ma playing my favored concerto (Dvorak) with the the Puerto Rican Symphony, and touched to tears by his playing I wrote a short piece for string orchestra and cello and I would like to dedicate it to him, and hope only that he would hear it. (less than 5 minutes) Anyone knows how this can be done? If at all? Looking at my age, I have not much time and therefore wish to rush this as much as possible.
    I assume that there is a webmaster of this site, I would be very grateful for your help.

Serenity

I’m afraid I can’t help you. I can only say that I’m sure there are thousands of composers who have been inspired by Yo-Yo and would love for him to hear their work…for those as famous as he is, I don’t think it’s possible for them to fulfill all these requests.

Best of luck

Music is for the millions, and Just like Yo Yo Ma’s , yours is to. Your dedication to him will stand. Let whoever hears your music know who inspired you.

Cynthia Marie

mikeblumb

cliff_mvd

Hi Ted,

If the folks that run Yoyo Ma’s site are cool, they will send your message on to him. With a story like yours, he should at least be given the opportunity to say yes or no.

Good luck!

Cliff

VJB3

In the canons of style, Yo-Yo Ma is the modern, musical epitome of the eternal pillar: Traditionaism.

VJB3
    MWF

http://famas.tumblr.com/

carolroselli

I hope that someone might share this with Mr. Ma. I just received the Songs of Joy and Peace CD as a gift. The variations on Dona Nobis Pacem remind me of the last time I sang it. We were on the bottom of the Grand Canyon, in a rafting group in celebration of my daughter’s college graduation. We were gathered in a slot canyon, eating lunch and I couldn’t contain myself any longer. Out I burst with Dona Nobis, and I was joined by three other members of the rafting trip. It was glorious… we sang it three times through, then let it drift into silence.
    Still one of my most treasured memories…
    Thank you for letting me share, and may God grant us joy and peace in the coming New year.
    Carol

jtdulcimer

I just wanted to thank Mr. Ma for bring back some wonderful childhood memories with his rendition of Dona Nobis Pacem. I hadn’t heard (or sung) that song for 36 years. I came upon the web site here early this week and saw the song posted and had to listen. WOW – the song brought back memories of sitting around the campfire at Camp Albert Butler in Roaring Gap, NC in the 60s and early 70s and singing this song as a round. Thank you so much, Mr. Ma, for awakening long ago fond memories!

Pookie47

He may be a very busy person but I have heard that he is very accessible if he is able look at the site for these comments. For someone that EVERYONE wants to have his attention, you may have to be patient.

♥Pookie47♥

amyras

My five year old daughter sleeps every night to Bach Cello Suites by YoYo Ma. She has been listening to this every night since months before she was born. We love YoYo Ma! We think it has made a big difference in her love of music and her math and reading skills.

We have tickets to see YoYo Ma in San Diego on May 17, 2009. We would love the chance to meet him in person to get an autograph and picture with her. He is a big part of our lives with his music playing in our home 12-15 hours a day for the past several years.

Thank you!
    Amy

CBanschbach

I would like to know that he might read this as well. I too have enjoyed Yo-Yo Ma and his music for a long time and respect him greatly as a musician, as I am a musician myself. If he does read this, I wish to contact him in hopes of gaining a sponsorship for Legends, a Drum and Bugle Corps that I am planning on being a part of this summer. I am a French Horn player as well as a mellophone player, and I want to have the chance to gain a lot of musical experience and knowledge through the drum corps experience. It is a chance for me to work with professional instructors and other high school college students that are both interested in music and passionate about it. I recently applied for a scholarship but was unsuccessful in receiving it, so I am looking to find sponsors to help me pay for my tuition. The full amount is $2545, of which I am not able to pay very much of at all because of my family’s financial situation. To anyone that reads this, including Yo-Yo Ma, I would very much appreciate any support that can be given. The donation is tax-deductible, and I would be willing to work with anyone that would be interested in supporting my musical aspiration.

Dear Mr. Ma,
    I really hope you check your site…I’ve been a cellist for 6 years now and you’ve inspired me very much. Recently in my English class our teacher has assigned us a research project on a topic we love. I immediately thought; classical music. But it’s too WIDE a topic to choose. So I narrowed it down, by picking you as the topic.

Now we’re supposed to do an interview with an expert on the topic we chose. I personally know no one who would be an ‘expert’ about you…I was hoping to contact you in some way so I could interview you via email.
    Sincerely with much admiration,
    Angelica

LuannD

Dear Mr. Ma,

About 15 months ago, I joined a new company in the Phildelphia area and began working for a wonderful Director of Sales and Marketing. On many occasions he has shared stories of his young daughter and her accomplishments as a cellist. One day, he brought a CD of his child’s solo performance at the Pennsylvania Academy of Music and I was moved to tears. Since that time, I have
    had the privilege of seeing several solo performances of this serious young cellist from the Lancaster PA area whose name is Kathryn.. She is now 12 years old and has been playing the cello since age 3. Her instructor for the past 6 years, Director of the Chamber Music Program , Pennsylvania Academy of Music, made the following statement about Kathryn several days ago, “In the 15 years that I have taught, I have not encountered a more exceptional musical or cellistic talent. She embodies a very important musician with the potential to develop into a fine artist as a cellist.”

I wanted to tell you about Kathryn because of her great love of music and her highly developed talent.. She is a very sweet and humble child who works diligently, learns quickly, and perfoms with such passion as a performer and a soloist. Although she would probably never admit this, crowds of fans flock around her after her solo performances to obtain her autograph!

She holds you in very high esteem and I believe she may follow in your path. Although I can only imagine how many inquiries of this type that you receive, , I believe that Kathryn is truyly “one in a million” and I know of your love of children.

I believe that you would want to know about her and I will be happy to forward a solo performance CD if you would have the time to listen.

Thank you Yo-Yo for all that you have done for music lovers all over the world!

Luann Kania Dunkerley

PS. My New England cousins speak of you and your family in the very highest regard.!

uromry

Dear Mr. Ma, We attended your Jerusalem concert two months ago (February) and enjoyed it so very much. We loved especially the last piece you have played, all by yourself, and were just as excited as the rest of the audience – I think everyone was just breathless. Alas we don’t know what the music was, and all our attempts to get this information from the Jerusalem Orchestra failed. Anyway I can get you to identify for us what that music was? Thanks so much. Ur

Preston Roe

I realize Yo Yo Ma must receive request from thousands of composers to lend his ear to their music. Perhaps he or someone else visiting this site will take the time to listen to a simple piece played by a talented artist. “Cello 4 Alfred” by Preston Roe @ YouTube.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.